Time for Summer: Grilled Watermelon, Tomato, and Feta Salad
Watermelon and grilling are two quintessential elements of summer, but did you ever think the two could go together—as in, grilled watermelon? This salad has diced tomatoes, feta cheese, basil, olive oil, vinegar, and grilled watermelon; it mixes the flavors of sweet and savory perfectly! If you’re having a Memorial Day party, try serving this dish. Watermelon is an old favorite for Memorial Day, so why not try this twist on a classic?
- PAM® Grilling Spray
- 1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 thick slice (about 1 inch) watermelon with rind (for 2 cups diced)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Spray cold grate of gas grill with grilling spray. Preheat grill for high heat. Meanwhile, combine drained tomatoes, basil, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in medium bowl.
- Grill watermelon 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until grill marks develop. Cool slightly. Remove rind; dice watermelon. Add to rest of ingredients; gently stir together. Sprinkle with cheese.
Author Bio: This is a guest post by Elizabeth L. on behalf of Hunt’s. Visit our site at www.hunts.com to find tomato recipes, chili recipes, and easy meatloaf recipes.
Peaceful Cooking Note: Thank you Elizabeth for sharing this wonderful recipe with us and giving me the opportunity to have you as a guest writer! The salad looks and sounds delicious! I will definitely be adding it to my Memorial Day BBQ menu.