Happy Father's Day!
I'm dedicating today's post to my daddy. He lives too far away for me to celebrate him in person so I've made a dish that represents him, and where he came from. A special connection that has always been important to me.
My dad grew up in a small town in Northern Alabama called Geraldine. He moved to California and pursued a successful music career and raised a family. Despite his claim to fame, he has always remained the down to earth, funny, and wonderful man that he was raised to be.
Some of you might recognize him
Growing up, my summer visits to Alabama made such a huge impact on me. Connecting with my dad's side of the family and his childhood, remains to this day a special part of who I am. I am, and will always be a daddy's girl. I am proud of my dad and proud to be his daughter.
Today, in honor of my dad and his roots, I am sharing a dish my grandmother used to make. The ingredients are simple and few. The quantities are subject to taste. So have at it, and enjoy a bit of soul from the south.
Southern Fried Squash
2 yellow squashes
1/2 large onion
1/2 cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for cooking
Heat a couple of teaspoon of oil in a skillet, over medium-low heat and saute the onions until soft and just starting to brown.
While the onions are cooking, sprinkle the squash with salt and pepper
Coat the squash with flour
When the onions are done, remove them from the pan and set aside.
Add more oil to the frying pan, and turn the heat up just a little. Place the floured squash in a single layer in the pan to fry, turning to brown both sides. Remove and set aside for the next batch. This will only take a couple of minutes for each batch.
Once the last batch is cooked, return the already cooked squash to the pan along with the cooked onions. Toss and cook for another minute to reheat everything.
This is especially good with fried chicken, or pork chops, and a little side of collard greens or black eyed peas.
I'm not the only one getting all nostalgic today. Check out the other 50+ recipes that bring back wonderful memories from our Sunday Supper crew!
- Blueberry Lavender Lemonade by Beauty and the Beets
- Natural Pink Pineapple Lemonade by Food Lust People Love
- Rhubarb Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Gazpacho Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled BLT Kebabs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Strawberry Fruit Dip by Books n’ Cooks
- Classic Shrimp Roll Sliders by Crazed Mom
- How to Cook Hot Dogs by Life Tastes Good
- Wiener Schnitzel by Caroline's Cooking
- Baked Beans by Magnolia Days
- Creamy Ranch Potato Salad by Dash of Evans
- Grilled Zucchini Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Seven-Layer Salad with Bacon and Peas by The Hungry Goddess
- Southern Fried Squash by Peaceful Cooking
- Spätzlesalat (German Spaetzle Pasta Salad) by Tara's Multicultural Table
- Summer's Best Tomato Cucumber Salad by Delaware Girl Eats
- Ambrosia Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Bavarian Almonds by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry Cobbler by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Boardwalk Funnel Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Buttermilk Pound Cake by Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- DIY Drumsticks by A Mind Full Mom
- Double Corn Buttermilk Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Frosted Grapes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Gluten Free S'mores Magic Bars by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Homemade Banana Pudding by Cooking with Carlee
- Homemade Drumsticks by Pies and Plots
- Japanese Melon Ice Cream by Ninja Baker
- Lemon Coconut Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Lemonade Pie with Sugar Cone Crust by Dizzy, Busy and Hungry
- Poke Cake by Our Good Life
- Maple Sugar Candy by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Mom's Rhubarb Cake by Monica's Table
- Nana’s No-Bake Cheesecake Squares by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Pudding Pops by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Root Beer Float Ice Cream Sandwiches by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sherbet Float by Cookin' Mimi
- Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Jello Pie by Tramplingrose
- Tita’s Fruit Dessert by Basic N Delicious
- Toasted Coconut Puppy Chow by Helpful Homemade
- Watergate Salad by Flavor Mosaic