Happy Labor Day Weekend! And it's all for you....the laborer. Whether you work in home, from home or away from home, your hard work is being recognized and appreciated.
Many of us will be celebrating Labor Day with our friends and family. Attending BBQ's, picnics, or just relaxing at home. What ever the case may be, this appetizer is perfect. It doesn't require much labor, it's quick, easy and delicious!
How can it not be? It's a deconstructed BLT sandwich and who doesn't enjoy a good ole BLT? (if you're raising your hand, I don't wanna know. I'd rather continue to think that I live in a perfect world where everyone loves BLT's.)
Today's Sunday Supper is all about Tantalizing Trays. Perfect for entertaining whether it's for Labor Day or a future event....the recipes that we've put together for you are bound to make your mouth water.
Now, this recipe calls for bacon that has been cooked and crumbled. If you must, use can use store bought bacon crumbles. If you have a little bit of time, cook your bacon (I bake it in the oven at 375' F on a baking sheet, turning once, until crisp) drain, then stuff it in a food processor
I have this wonderful mini food processor that was a wedding gift....a long, long time ago (I'm not going to say how many year ago, but if it were a child, it would have graduated from college by now). It's amazing. I use it often and it still works wonderfully! They just don't make things the way they used to, sadly enough.
Give the bacon a couple of pulses and viola!
You have fresh bacon crumbles with very little effort!
from the cookbook "What Can I Bring?" by Anne Byrn
makes about 24 canapes
1 cup mayonnaise
8 slices of bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
1/4 cup loosely packed parsley, chopped
Cayenne Pepper to taste
24 toasted bread rounds or crackers
24 slices of plum tomatoes, patted dry (I used the heirlooms that I had on hand)
2/3 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
If you are using toasted bread rounds, get about 8 - 12 slices of sandwich bread. Using a 1 1/2" cookie cutter, cut the bread into rounds. Place them on a baking sheet and broil until lightly brown on one side, about 1 or 2 minutes.
I used crackers.
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, bacon and parsley. Add the cayenne pepper to taste. I started off with about 1/2 tsp, and ended up using 1 tsp. It has a nice little kick in the end. This can be stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
When you're ready to serve, spread 1 or 2 tsps of the bacon mixture on your bread or toast. Top with a tomato slice and garnish with the shredded lettuce.
And enjoy your bite sized BTL!
Check out the other Tantalizing Trays listed below and enjoy your weekend!
- Antipasto Skewers by Simply Gourmet
- Bite-Sized Meatballs by MealDiva
- BLT Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch
- BLT Canapes by Peaceful Cooking
- BLT Crostini with Basil Mayonnaise by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Blueberry Jam and Goat Cheese Crostini by Casa de Crews
- Brie and Tomato Bruschetta by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Cajun Deviled Eggs by Peanut Better and Peppers
- Charcuterie Board by Family Foodie
- Cheese-Filled Apple Rounds by eatingininstead
- Coquilles St. Jacques by Nosh My Way
- Crudite Platter with Copycat Hidden Valley Ranch Dip by Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Crunchy Tuna Salad Boats by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Cucumber Sandwiches by Momma's Meals
- Feta Zucchini Bites by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Thai Soup Shooters by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Figs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Heirloom Caprese Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Jalapeño Mac 'n Cheese Bites by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- The Modern Relish Tray by An Appealing Plan
- Mostarda di Frutta by Rhubarb and Honey
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Peppers by Magnolia Days
- Ploughman's Platter for a Party by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Puff Pastry Cheese Sticks by Basic N Delicious
- Rye Party Puffs by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Southwestern Turkey Sliders by The Texan New Yorker
- Spinach and Mushroom Pizza Bites by The Dinner-Mom
- Tomato Basil Soup Shooters by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Zucchini and Summer Squash Crostini by Hip Foodie Mom
- Alice in Wonderland Sugar Cookies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Baked Lemon Glazed Mini Donuts by Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Chocolate Oreo Pocky Cupcakes, Cake, and Morello Cherry Buttercream by NinjaBaking
- French Silk Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- German Chocolate Brownie Bites by Wallflour Girl
- Mini Banana Nutella Cheesecake Parfaits (#glutenfree option) by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raspberry Fools by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Shooters by The Redhead Baker
- Vegan Caramel Truffles by What Smells So Good?
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter & Banana Bites by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Witchy Chocolate Mousse with Culinary Fairy Dust by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.